Ideas To Avoid & Help Fight Corona
This page is pointed to from all Berklix pages with this logo in
the margin or footer:
It needs editing. Some stuff now common consensus & to be
Newer stuff tends to be toward the end
- SARS-CoV-2, the name of the virus that causes the
- Some studies on other corona viruses, including Sars
and Mers, found they can survive on metal, glass and
plastic for as long as nine days, unless they are properly
disinfected. Some can even hang around for up to 28 days in
- Tell colleagues who struggle in to work: Go Home! -
"Don't infect all of us! "
- Tell coughers &/or yourself in shops : "Best shop
when not crowded!"
- Minimise contagion: avoid peak travel times &
busiest transport nodes:
- Remind careless healthy adults: they too will have no
hospital for normal accidents & emergencies, if already
overflowing with Corona patients.
- Cough & Sneeze In To Crook Of Elbow, Not On Hand or
- (If using hand or handkerchief, high speed photography
shows sneeze air born droplets blasting through between
fingers & cloth. Better IMO to squeeze fingers
together, & make a 45 degree deflector blast wall to
divert germs downward ? (Inverse of airport plane
parks that have 45 degree blast walls pointing horizontal
jet blasts vertically upward while testing jet
- Back To Index
- Un-necessary, (the habit started from showing opponents
we have no weapon (knife, sword) in hand). The 2,000 year
old Roman greeting is better, say "Salvate!" (en . wiktionary .
org / wiki / salvate somewhat similar to modern
en . wiktionary . org / w / index . php ? title = servus
& rdfrom=Servus# German) & present right hand
vertical, palm forward, arm folded at elbow (Not arm raised
at shoulder Nazi style, Not palm slapping American black
youth style). (Germans shake hands even more than Brits
IMO, though a fellow British friend
thinks Brits are worse having also adopted the unpleasant
continental both cheek kissing)
- (PS Most Westerners use right hand to clean anus with
paper after excreting, & same right hand to shake &
eat with. Arabs use left hand for cleaning, & right to
eat. Most people are right handed & may use right hands
more for coughing on & on public transport grips etc.
Where have all those right hands been ? ;-) Reduce hand
- Finally German Chancellor Merkel also said stop shaking
- (* A large medical company in Munich has long planned
to rent an office block in Munich with only cold water in
the toilet wash rooms! Stupid!)
Can you catch Corona from someone inadequately washing
hands after excreting ?
... Well you can catch a lot of other very nasty things
from that, But:
- Back To Index
- We all touch our own faces a lot unconsciously. Wait
till hands are washed with Warm(*) water with soap.
- If you must, use back of hand, not palms your grip
doors & transport handles & food packets with.
- Maybe touch your face with the back of your right hand,
if you must. & use left knuckles for lift buttons
- Back To Index
- Some carry small disinfectant/alcohol rub sprays in bag, (like in hospital
& care home corridors).
- I have a small self pump spray, bought with antiseptic
for wounds, long empty, used for years with isopropyl alcohol for spray cleaning
- Old empty small perfume bottles should work if filled
with alcohol. ? Old expired throat
sprays could also be Not discarded, but washed out &
used as hand alcohol sprays.
- Back To Index
Back To Index
- Section needs rewrite German chemist (Apotheke)
told me alcohols should be 70% (& thats metric
not the Gay Lussac scale the Brits & American's
use for Spirit, where eg whisky is about 70% GL but
only about 40% by volume. I have various vodka gin
etc that are probably better than nothing. Barbeque
fire starter is presumably alcohol.
- I mentioned to chemist I was saving old
- (cos I'd seen a TV prog. where a rep. of
chemist retailers said currently they weren't
allowed to mix various own medicines, had to buy it
in from manufacturers, but could mix own if
allowed, but then there would be a shortage of
- She said no point saving bottles, problem was
they (she) had no alcohol.
- Any alcohol over 70% would do for Hygiene
- I mentioned I had a bit of isopropyl left, I
use for electronics cleaning en
. wikipedia . org / wiki / Isopropyl_alcohol
doesn't say on label how much water but I remember
I bought the purer sort, cos last time with lower %
alcohol I got white deposits, not wanted on
contacts), no chance of more alcohol just now from
chemists in munich.) Try on eg amazon
- I asked her (chemist in charge) what about eg
Meths, ie Methyl alcohol, maybe that could be used
as hygiene sprays, & mixed with some soap
solution maybe ? Yes I know Meths = Methyl alcohol
is poisonous to drink, (only Ethyl alcohol for
drink) thats why meths is stained purple to put off
tramps, (& fails to deter). But easy to buy in
camping shops for primus stoves.
- She was surprised by the question, she didn't
mind chatting, but got no answer, I left her
- Research since:
- Propylene glycol. It's effective as an
antimicrobial and antiviral and safe on humans.
It's even approved as a food and drug additive.
It's one of the main ingredients in many vaping
liquids. Not toxic
- Methylene glycol also toxic as is
- Ethylene glycol is generally the main
ingredient in antifreeze
- Klax Brenn Spiritus chemica . de is
labelled as 1:2 (presume. 1 of it to 2 of water)
down to -15 C for windscreen anti freeze other
listed uses include camping fire, cleaning
- Car Screen Wash: Even those big 1 & 5 litre
blue bottles have some alcohols in them.
- The radiator anti freeze has alcohols too.
- Probably some worse than others, Some sticky,
cause skin irritation if not washed off with water,
cancerous possibly ? I don't know Some Bcc'd &
some on list will know more.
Back To Index
Drinks - Indexed by
- Rum - Stroh (Austrian comes in 60 & 80
bevbox . de / rum / brauner- rum / 395 /
original - stroh - 80 - inlaender - rum - 0 -
5l "Alkoholgehalt: 80% vol." The 80 is used
over burning sugar sticks dropping in to hot
red wine to make Feuer Stangen Bohle. ... but
the Rum itself is doubtless sticky, lots of
sugar description says "Overproof Rum ...
Blue label, White top, Export 100cl bottle,
bought in Europe years back: 50% Vol, 100
Vodka's generally 40% can go to 95%, (they're
lethal must drink alternate gulps of water,
else you choke & die, said a documentary
- Rum - Bacardi is 40% by vol. (70% UK proof
on Gay Lussac scale, see Wiki.)
- Tequila 40%
40 (normal) to 68 (see Wiki. above)
- Ouzo 37.5%
- Back To Index
- Apparently most who get COVID19 will only exhibit mild
symptoms if any, some can be silent carriers, exhibiting no
symptoms, but emitting virus to all & sundry.
List Of Symptoms
WHO & NHS aren't easy to find list of symptoms
using their own search box, list is short horizontal
linear text not a vertical list, & incomplete at
- Both should list most frequent symptoms & less
frequent symptoms, such as loss of taste and or smell
& diarrhoea, (& general deep aching I've
- Better vertical lists exist, I've seen them Search!
2020-04-01 BBC Radio 4 Today program
The professor who spoke about the symptoms has been
doing mass statistical analysis. Apparently no single
symptom is an indicator, only a test can tell,
however more people who test positive also report a
loss of taste or smell, than have a fever.
The loss of taste and or smell can occur before any
other symptoms, so could be a useful earlier
The same study on BBC web site: bbc . com
/ news / health - 52111606
59% who tested positive for CV19 had loss of taste
or smell, higher than the proportion who had fever.
kcl . ac . uk / news / loss - of - smell - and -
taste - a - key - symptom - for - covid - 19 -
59% of COVID-19 positive patients reported loss
of smell and taste, compared with only 18% of those
who tested negative for the disease. These results
were much stronger in predicting a positive
COVID-19 diagnosis than self-reported fever. ...
The model features a combination of loss of smell
and taste, fever, persistent cough, fatigue,
diarrhoea, abdominal pain and loss of appetite, in
which the strongest predictor is loss of smell and
taste. ... When applied to the 400,000+ individuals
reporting symptoms who had not yet had a COVID-19
test, the team found that almost 13% of them are
likely to be infected by the virus
Still no definitive set of symptoms, just each one
increases likelihood they have it and loss of taste
and smell in their statistical analysis so far
strongest indicator, but not definitive (could be a
cold etc.). Thanks.
- Back To Index
- So how many wont even know they ever had it, just
another bug ?
Only people who in some way get Tested, eg:
- Professional athletes &
- The severely ill ie mostly young & old
- Those travelling from contaminated sources who
trigger an airport or ship thermometer level &
subsequent compulsory check.
- Those with non severe symptoms, who have full health
insurance that covers all test costs, who understand
their health insurance, & are certain no annual no
claims bonus will be lost by a test.
- So we will only ever know some small subset of those
COVID19 infects, unless there's a mega pandemic when most
infections can be assumed COVID19. (Couple of days after I
wrote the above, Chief UK Scientist said about 13th march
or so: could be up to 10,000 undetected cases in UK.)
- Some Free tests in Germany:
Original in German:
mdr . de / nachrichten / panorama / coronavirus - test -
kostenuebernahme - 100 .html
Translation in English
- Munich, Bavaria, Germany a drive in testing place on
geospatialworld . net / blogs / satellite - imagery - of -
covid - 19 - testing - facilities - munichgermany/
- Bavaria, Germany
in German: pnp . de / nachrichten / bayern / Wie - der -
Corona - Test - funktioniert - wer - ihn - durchfuehrt -
und - bezahlt - 3634876 .html
Some commercial testers of unknown provenance, (found
with a search
- Back To Index
Don't Touch Hand Grip Buttons Rails etc more than
possible. Wear gloves. Elbow lift buttons. Reduce Bus
& railway usage. Use private transport (car, bike,
foot, buggy, skate board, electro scooter). Open windows
on busses to dilute stuffy air.
- Supermarket trolley:
- Wear gloves. Take the one with hand grip exposed to
most ultra violet & cold longest outside in car
park. Not the one still warm. Or hold somewhere else
than usual on the frame. Give people in queue ahead a
good extra distance.
- Keep back from Cashier, don't breathe on them.
- Consider wearing gloves
- Pay by plastic card, saves cashiers handling money.
(BTW this author dislikes using plastic cards,
especially those without PIN number, however this is an
emergency, needs must.)
- How many handled your shopped item on shelf before
you got it home ? Consider wash or clean (with soap or
alcohol spray) surfaces of shop
products brought home before you stick them in the
fridge or on the shelf ?
- Ask office personnel & trade unions etc what
percentage of office air, the air con recycles how
often, compared to other buildings ? (Author used to
work in a particularly low percentage office South of
Munich where lots more employees regularly fell sick
than in other buildings.)
- Cross width of pavement/ path/ road out of air path
of coughers in front. (Author also crosses away from
- Tell doctors: you & all patients should visit
doctor by timed appointment. Not first all share your
germs in crowded waiting rooms.
- Avoid crowded stuffy places. Force a window open.
Better Be cold than Catch a cold or worse.
- Face masks apparently are not much good. But
sitting near a splutterer eg over a meal tempts fate
too much. WHO recommends keeping a metre back from
people. A supermarket trolley in a queue keeps more
space than a basket.
- Obsolete for now while the schools have closed:
Avoid young kids & their parents. Kids are clueless
super conductors. Avoid people who've just flown back
from suspect locations in last weeks. Encourage
business travellers to work from home more, self
- Obsolete for now while closed: Reduce stuffy
restaurant & pub visits. Select less crowded venues
& times. Meet people more outside on terraces at
warmer mid day, less inside warm fuggy pubs on cold
evenings. Take tin foil. Tell waiters to open some
windows or turn on extractors, else you will leave Now
with food in tin foil.
- If out for a walk with your kids, if you pass a
friend, do Not stop too close, & do NOT leave your
2 households of kids strewn across the pavement,
obstructing safe passage for others who want to pass
along pavement without risk of mutual contagion ! You
are breaking multiple laws : new laws of social
distancing & older laws of obstruction.
If walking in park is allowed: Keep off the paths !
Keep on the grass ! Paths are where everyone else's
virus polluted air is. If you have a mountain bike:
Keep off the paths, nows the time to prove it's not
just a city bike. Don't do extreme exercises or high
risk, the hospitals won't have room for extra emergency
3D Printers - Donate CPU time,
Plastic or Money
Tracker & Traceback Apps
Brexit: Best delay the Brexit deadline,
- Corona brings global recession, central banks strain,
- UK & EU economies were already expecting a downturn
from Brexit, & a more severe economic impact from a
rushed bodged Brexit
- Corona has already quarantined chief negotiators (UK:
David Frost & EU:
Michel Barnier) & UK PM Boris Johnson
& Germany's Angela
- Crippled economies can afford less help for
- Solution: Delay final Brexit till after 31st December
2020. Realise we've only had the phoney Brexit so far at
31st January 2020, The really disruptive Brexit that will
kill many more jobs & personal, company, & national
tax incomes is still due on 31st December 2020 - DELAY IT
- Back To Index
Back To Index
From friends in mail, passed from other friends, trail
lost, so cant attribute unfortunately, would if I could,
let me know if an original I can point to.