Ideas To Avoid & Help Fight Corona
This page is pointed to from all Berklix pages with this logo in
the margin or footer:
- Wash hands with soap, soap kills corona. (There's a
shortage of alcohol for hand
Masks reduce Corona transmission, make
one with 2 tied handkerchiefs !
- Some studies on other Corona viruses, including Sars and
Mers, found they can survive on metal, glass and plastic for
as long as nine days, unless they are properly disinfected.
Some can even hang around for up to 28 days in low
- Tell colleagues who struggle in to work: Go Home! -
"Don't infect us! "
- Tell coughers &/or yourself in shops : "Best shop
when not crowded!"
- Minimise contagion: avoid peak travel times & busiest
- Remind careless healthy adults: they too will have no
hospital for normal accidents & emergencies, if already
overflowing with Corona patients.
- Cough & Sneeze In To Crook Of Elbow, Not On Hand or
- (If using hand or handkerchief, high speed photography
shows sneeze air born droplets blasting through between
fingers & cloth. Better IMO to squeeze fingers together,
& make a 45 degree deflector blast wall to divert germs
downward ? (Inverse of airport plane parks that have
45 degree blast walls pointing horizontal jet blasts
vertically upward while testing jet engines).
- Statistics: www
. worldometers . info / coronavirus /
- Back To Index
Un-necessary, (the habit started from showing opponents we
have no weapon (knife, sword) in hand). The 2,000 year old
Roman greeting is better, say "Salvate!" (en . wiktionary .
org / wiki / salvate somewhat similar to modern
en . wiktionary . org / w / index . php ? title = servus
& rdfrom=Servus# German) & present right hand
vertical, palm forward, arm folded at elbow
- Not arm raised at shoulder, that's Nazi style,
- Not palm slapping American black youth style).
- No continental style cheek kissing either, thats lots
more dangerous !
- Firm your resolve by recalling Most Westerners use
right hand to clean anus with paper after excreting,
& same right hand to shake & eat with.
- (* A large research medical drug company in Munich
has long planned to rent an office block in Munich with
only cold water in the toilet wash rooms! Really
Penny-Pinching Stupid & irresponsible! They must have
known long before Covid-19 that soap kills viruses, &
that soap doesn't lather so well with cold water, nor
dirt disperse so well. Ask which idiot company at the
Gardeners after Covid-19, (if they or government
haven't finally grown wiser with Covid-19 & forced
landlord to install warm water).
- Arabs are cleaner, they use left hand for cleaning,
& right to eat.
- Most people are right handed & use right hand for
coughing on , & touching PIN pads, & door handles
etc, where all other hands have been.
- Bow Asian style if you want, or doff your non
existent hat ;-)
- Just don't shake hands!
- Finally German Chancellor Merkel also said stop
shaking hands 2020-03-18.
- PM Johnson was regularly on TV shaking hands &
standing too close, right up to when he went in to
hospital & on to intensive care. Learn from his
Can you catch Corona from someone inadequately washing
hands after excreting ?
You can catch a lot of other very nasty things from that,
- Back To Index
- We all touch our own faces a lot unconsciously. Wait till
hands are washed with Warm(*) water with soap.
- If you must, use back of hand, not palms your grip doors
& transport handles & food packets with.
- Maybe touch your face with the back of your right hand,
if you must. & use left knuckles for lift buttons ?
- Back To Index
- Some people carry small disinfectant/alcohol rub sprays in bag, (like in hospital
& care home corridors).
- I have a small self pump spray, bought with antiseptic
for wounds, long empty, used for years with isopropyl alcohol for spray cleaning
- Old empty small perfume bottles should work if filled
with alcohol. ? Old expired throat
sprays could also be Not discarded, but washed out & used
as hand alcohol sprays.
- Back To Index
Back To Index
- Section needs rewrite German chemist (Apotheke)
told me alcohols should be 70% (& thats metric
not the Gay Lussac scale the Brits & American's
use for Spirit, where eg whisky is about 70% GL but
only about 40% by volume. I have various vodka gin
etc that are probably better than nothing. Barbeque
fire starter is presumably alcohol.
- I mentioned to chemist I was saving old medicine
- (cos I'd seen a TV prog. where a rep. of chemist
retailers said currently they weren't allowed to mix
various own medicines, had to buy it in from
manufacturers, but could mix own if allowed, but then
there would be a shortage of bottles,
- She said no point saving bottles, problem was
they (she) had no alcohol.
- Any alcohol over 70% would do for Hygiene (Hand)
- I mentioned I had a bit of isopropyl left, I use
for electronics cleaning en
. wikipedia . org / wiki / Isopropyl_alcohol
doesn't say on label how much water but I remember I
bought the purer sort, cos last time with lower %
alcohol I got white deposits, not wanted on
contacts), no chance of more alcohol just now from
chemists in munich.) Try on eg amazon
- I asked her (chemist in charge) what about eg
Meths, ie Methyl alcohol, maybe that could be used as
hygiene sprays, & mixed with some soap solution
maybe ? Yes I know Meths = Methyl alcohol is
poisonous to drink, (only Ethyl alcohol for drink)
thats why meths is stained purple to put off tramps,
(& fails to deter). But easy to buy in camping
shops for primus stoves.
- She was surprised by the question, she didn't
mind chatting, but got no answer, I left her
- Research since:
- Propylene glycol. It's effective as an
antimicrobial and antiviral and safe on humans. It's
even approved as a food and drug additive. It's one
of the main ingredients in many vaping liquids. Not
- Methylene glycol also toxic as is methanol.
- Ethylene glycol is generally the main ingredient
- Klax Brenn Spiritus chemica . de is labelled
as 1:2 (presume. 1 of it to 2 of water) down to -15 C
for windscreen anti freeze other listed uses include
camping fire, cleaning
- Car Screen Wash: Even those big 1 & 5 litre
blue bottles have some alcohols in them, but probably
- Radiator anti freeze has alcohol, but probably
- Probably some worse than others, Some sticky,
cause skin irritation if not washed off with water,
cancerous possibly ? I don't know Some Bcc'd &
some on list will know more.
- "Domol Hygiene Spray" bottle,
www . rossmann . de / de / search /? text =+ Domol +
Hygiene + Spray Out of stock, 2.19 Euro, 250 ml,
Label says: "100 gram solution contains: 2 Propanol:
21.0 g; Ethanol 22.0 g; 1 Propanol 8.0 g." Adds to 53
grams not 100, maybe someone can explain why ?
Cologne as hand wash, as used by Turks:
www . bbc . com / travel / story / 20200407 -
turkeys - unique - hand - sanitiser:
"Kolonya is effective at protecting against
coronavirus because when it contains at least 60%
alcohol, it breaks down the virus' hard shell,"
said Dr Hatira Topakl#, a family physician in
Istanbul who explained that most kolonya products
contain 80% alcohol ...
on 13 March the Turkish government stopped
requiring ethanol in
petrol in order to boost the production of
kolonya and other household disinfectants ...
pure ethanol is made from
fermented barley, grapes, molasses or
- Back To Index
Drinks - Sorted by Maximum
- Rum - Stroh (Austrian comes in 60 & 80
bevbox . de / rum / brauner- rum / 395 / original
- stroh - 80 - inlaender - rum - 0 - 5l
"Alkoholgehalt: 80% vol." The 80 is used over
burning sugar sticks dropping in to hot red wine
to make Feuer Stangen Bohle. ... but the Rum
itself is doubtless sticky, lots of sugar
description says "Overproof Rum ... Taste:
Blue label, White top, Export 100cl bottle,
bought in Europe years back: 50% Vol, 100
Vodka's generally 40% can go to 95%, (they're
lethal must drink alternate gulps of water, else
you choke & die, said a documentary way
"The CDC recommend hand sanitizers contain at
least 60% alcohol."
- Rum - Bacardi is 40% by vol. (70% UK proof on
Gay Lussac scale, see
en . wikipedia .org / wiki /
- Tequila 40%
40 (normal) to 68 (see Wiki. above)
- Ouzo 37.5%
- Back To Index
Article about Vinegar, Bleach, Household cleaners
- Apparently most who get COVID19 will only exhibit mild
symptoms if any, some can be silent carriers, exhibiting no
symptoms, but emitting virus to all & sundry.
List Of Symptoms
WHO & NHS
aren't easy to find list of symptoms using their own
search box, list is short horizontal linear text not a
vertical list, & incomplete at both
- Both should list most frequent symptoms & less
frequent symptoms, such as loss of taste and or smell
& diarrhoea, (& general deep aching I've
- Better vertical lists exist, I've seen them Search!
2020-04-01 BBC Radio 4 Today program
The professor who spoke about the symptoms has been
doing mass statistical analysis. Apparently no single
symptom is an indicator, only a test can tell, however
more people who test positive also report a loss of
taste or smell, than have a fever.
The loss of taste and or smell can occur before any
other symptoms, so could be a useful earlier
The same study on BBC web site: bbc . com /
news / health - 52111606
59% who tested positive for CV19 had loss of taste or
smell, higher than the proportion who had fever. Kings
kcl . ac . uk / news / loss - of - smell - and - taste
- a - key - symptom - for - covid - 19 - cases
59% of COVID-19 positive patients reported loss of
smell and taste, compared with only 18% of those who
tested negative for the disease. These results were
much stronger in predicting a positive COVID-19
diagnosis than self-reported fever. ... The model
features a combination of loss of smell and taste,
fever, persistent cough, fatigue, diarrhoea,
abdominal pain and loss of appetite, in which the
strongest predictor is loss of smell and taste. ...
When applied to the 400,000+ individuals reporting
symptoms who had not yet had a COVID-19 test, the
team found that almost 13% of them are likely to be
infected by the virus
Still no definitive set of symptoms, just each one
increases likelihood they have it and loss of taste and
smell in their statistical analysis so far strongest
indicator, but not definitive (could be a cold etc.).
- Back To Index
Many won't even know they ever had it - just another
Only people who in some way get Tested, eg:
So we will only ever know some small subset of those that
COVID19 infects, unless the pandemic overwhelms, when most
infections can be assumed COVID19. (Couple of days after I
wrote the above, Chief UK Scientist said about 13th march
or so: could be up to 10,000 undetected cases in UK.)
- Professional athletes &
- The severely ill ie mostly old & some young
- Those in care homes where some residents start
- Those travelling from contaminated sources who
trigger an airport or ship thermometer level &
subsequent compulsory check.
- Those with non severe symptoms, those few who have full health
insurance that covers all test costs, who understand
their health insurance, & are certain no annual no
claims bonus will be lost by a test, who live in a rare
country with enough tests available (no such countries to
my knowledge yet).
Some Free tests in Germany:
Some commercial testers of unknown provenance, (found with
- Back To Index
Don't Touch Hand Grip Buttons Rails etc more than possible.
Wear gloves. Use Elbow for lift buttons (or better, don't
use the stale still air in lift (apparently moving air
precipitates the virus faster on surfaces where it will
eventually die), walk the stairs instead). Reduce Bus &
railway usage. Use private transport (car, bike, foot,
buggy, skate board, electro scooter). Open windows on
busses to dilute stuffy air.
- Supermarket trolley:
- Wear gloves. Take the one with hand grip exposed to
most ultra violet in car park. Not the one still warm. Or
hold somewhere else than usual on the frame. Give people
in queue ahead a good extra distance.
- Keep back, stop before or after Cashier at arms
length, not opposite, don't breathe on them.
- Consider wearing gloves, but don't rub face with
- Pay by plastic card, saves cashiers handling money.
(BTW this author dislikes using plastic cards, especially
those without PIN number, however this is an emergency,
- How many handled your shopped item on shelf before
you got it home ? Consider wash or clean (with soap or alcohol spray), the surfaces of shop
products brought home before you stick them in the fridge
or on the shelf ?
- Ask office personnel & trade unions etc what
percentage of office air, the air con recycles how often,
compared to other buildings ? (Author used to work in a
particularly low percentage office South of Munich where
lots more employees regularly fell sick than in other
- Cross width of pavement/ path/ road out of air path
of others, particularly coughers in front. Cross their
air stream at right angles, not oblique. (Author also
crosses roads away from polluting smokers)
- Tell doctors & other who operate waiting rooms:
you & all patients should visit doctor by timed
appointment. Not first all share your germs in crowded
- Avoid crowded stuffy places. Force a window open.
Better Be cold than Catch a virus.
- Face masks supposed by some to
be not much good. But sitting near a splutterer eg over a
meal or drinks or just talking tempts fate. WHO recommends keeping a metre back from
people. A supermarket trolley in a queue keeps more space
than a basket.
- Avoid young kids & their parents. Kids are
clueless super conductors with other kids. Avoid people
who've recently returned from suspect locations.
Encourage business travellers to work from home more,
- Obsolete now while closed, but later when things
start to re-open: Reduce stuffy restaurant & pub
visits. Select less crowded venues & times. Meet
people more outside on terraces at warmer mid day, less
inside warm fuggy pubs on cold evenings. Take tin foil.
Tell waiters to open some windows or turn on extractors,
else you will leave Now with food in tin foil, & they
will loose money on more drinks & desert not
- If out for a walk with your kids, if you pass a
friend, do Not stop too close, & do NOT leave your 2
households of kids strewn across the pavement,
obstructing safe passage for others who want to pass
along pavement without risk of mutual infection ! You are
breaking multiple laws : new laws of social distancing
& older laws of obstruction of the highway.
If walking in park is allowed: Keep off the paths ! Keep
_on_ the grass ! Paths are where everyone else's virus
polluted air is. If you have a mountain bike: In a park
etc, Keep off the paths, the pedestrians don't want you
exhaling near them, & you don't want their viruses
either, now's the time to prove your mountain bike is Not
just a lame city bike, but can take the bumpy grass.
Don't do extreme exercises or high risk though, the
hospitals won't have room for extra emergency repairs.
ljk@: Heard a doctor on the radio saying that most
masks were more of a risk than no mask. Because most
masks are just one or more layers of material, they can
let moisture through. The wearer's breath will also
condense in the material. People get their hands
contaminated from surfaces, then touch the mask, the
moisture is drawn through, with the virus in it and
gets into the user's airway.
- Set up video chat groups to combat boredom &
conferencing software & servers: (against cabin
- Discourage travel etc activities that set a bad
example & risk further accident/ incident work
for already over-worked medical & law enforcement
A discussion, extract below
. com / news / world - europe - 52243158 : German
region eases Baltic coast travel ban
Does that mean we can go to the
- No. Infection rates & legal restrictions
vary by geography. But...
- Though we're missing spring, lakes &
mountains, In hospitals others are dieing,
suffering & working like mad & scared
with insufficient PPE, people & businesses
fancy bankruptcy, some places like Italy &
Paris have far worse lock downs than us, in NRW
& Bavaria old folk are allowed zero visitors.
in UK my old mother not allowed out of the
- Stay home, get bored, Help by Not
pushing to some legal max, give police an easier
time to identify proximity offenders; More time
to flatten the curve, manufacture more tests
& ethanol etc.
- Every un-necessary journey & sport that
risks injury is a potential accident. The
hospitals are full. The police too are busy
probably short handed if any in self isolation.
Any contact with mountain rescue from an
[asymptomatic?] carrier would cost a whole rescue
team quarantine. Mountain Rescue do Not want
people coming, saw a team leader state that on
Bavarian or Austrian TV. They do Not want you
- Until infection rate is under control,
pushing travel or proximity limits seem
un-disciplined / selfish, sets a bad example,
diverts resources, risks diverting medical
resources with accidents be it broken bones or
organ failure whatever.
- Berklix Social
& Sport meeting announcement lists
only virtual meetings during the Corona crisis,
other tech & chat lists
- Stay home ! Contact friends maybe
suffering cabin fever Phone or Video/ conference/
phone, or use a mail list. Munich
Beer Gardeners & members of numerous
other berklix lists are invited to join
- More ideas to help ? Mail author
- Back To Index
- Back To Index
Some are stitching for free & /or for profit,
- PS: If you think
Johnson should sack Cummings, then email your
Most countries seem to deny there's scientific evidence
for masks, until they have enough medical grade masks for
docs, nurses [& care homes etc], then they admit
there Is a case for using masks.
(One rare exception: the bungling UK government) with in
late May 2020
Universal use of face masks for success against COVID-19:
evidence and implications for prevention policies
Simplest: 2 Knotted Handkerchiefs, Masked Bandit
Pictures were taken into a mirror without flash,
so afterward I swapped image on a left right basis. The
pocket is in reality on left of shirt.
- Not best professional for docs, but enough to
limit carriers spreading to others.
- Man size handkerchiefs are not big enough, with a
single one Author only achieves 1st half of a reef
knot, & no material left for 2nd half. Necker-chiefs
are bigger, but many have none, so just fold 2
handkerchiefs diagonally, then tie together with reef
knots on each side of head over ears.
- If you have no mens large cotton handkerchiefs
(some abandoned cotton handkerchiefs for useless
paper tissues, & women's handkerchiefs too
small): Cut a pillow case/slip, scarf, bandana, shirt
or T shirt into a square, fold diagonally, & tie
- If on too long, & damp, Rotate ?
- In hot summer, the 2nd handkerchief at the back
is unwanted insulation: Cut 2nd rear handkerchief
diagonally, down to a strip. Or cut the elastic off a
pair of pants (real English used by
British, Not Americans' Trousers;-) )
& tie on.
- After taking off, wash at a high temperature,
&/or iron (or steam iron) & of course wash
- How beneficial masks are to
stop catching Covid-19 is debatable. Should at least
reduce or stop Covid droplet emission from
asymptomatic people who may not even know they've got
it & are spreading it.
It's a simple alternative till mask production
Britain at 22nd April 2020 is still agonising
if masks for the public
should be reccomended or not, worried that
public would compete for masks already scarce for medical
& care staff.
Is it a nice simple idea the UK government
should adopt ? Then:
- Bavaria's past that debate & made it
mandatory to have mouth & nose covering in
shops & on public transport from Monday 27th
April, else 150 Euro
- Pictures at berklix . org /
corona / #masks
Yes, copy idea &/or pictures &/or text to
reduce Corona. (A Thank You email appreciated if
you will, with web ref to where you copied.)
Mask From A T Shirt in 10 Secs.
West Munich, Commercial Sale:.
Hel. reports bought a cloth mask for 9EU @ a pharmacy,
Central Munich, Commercial Sale:
12 EU from:
Svenja Jander, Jahn-str 26,
; 01776920173 firstname.lastname@example.org svenjajander.com/
Baumwolle oder Leinen.
Bei 90 Grad waschbar",
Oeffnung fuer zusaetzliche Wechsel-Einlage
12 EU = Arbeitszeit + Material A4 poster (reduced)
Verkauf=Sold at: Bakery (next to Edeka) Holz Str 23,
. I wrote her 4 suggestions, No answer:
- Cordel sollte langer sein. Kaum lang genug fuer mich
(man relativ gross Kopf)
- Dicke Cordel ist besser als dun/din Geschenk
Kunst-Stoff, dass wuerde Ohren schneiden/ abreissen
- Stell ihre Mask Werbungs PDF an ihre web seite Ich habe
eine bild von es gemacht hier, aber niedrig qualitaet,
& ein link hier gestellt unter ...
- Stell ein PDF fuer Schneider an ihre web seite, (oder
bei mir), So dass Arme leute woanders im welt koennen
selbst drucken, & danach auschneiden & naehen.
Aehnlich wie bei scrubhub . org . uk /
Extra ideas not in email:
- It would be better with elastic, not string. If you
talk with mouth too wide or eg yawn it pulls it down off
nose, better if elasticated .
- Better with a V shape to close 2 gaps above &
either side of nose (less necessary on flat nosed Asiatic
faces I imagine)
Another small business ,turned to
making & selling masks, 10 Euro each :
82205 Gilching Bavaria Germany www .
gollwitzer - schmuckfedern . de / shop /
Self Made masks (Notes from I.T.)
3D Printers - Donate CPU time,
Plastic or Money
Apps: Tracker & Traceback etc
Comparisons Of Multiple App
The Pan-European Privacy-Preserving Proximity Tracing
NHSX Digital division of Britain's NHS National Health
Brexit: Delay the Hard Brexit
deadline of 31 Dec 2020, as:
- Corona already brings global recession, job losses
- UK & EU economies were before Corona, already
expecting a downturn from Brexit, & a more severe
economic impact from a rushed bodged Brexit
- Corona has already quarantined chief negotiators (UK:
David Frost & EU:
Michel Barnier) & UK PM Boris Johnson
& Germany's Angela
- We've lost months from a previously critically tight
schedule. Time wasted both with a General Election &
re-appointing posts & parliamentary committees) &
more time lost to Corona.
- Crippled economies have less tax revenues to pay help
for citizens hit by Corona.
- Solution: Delay final Brexit till after 31st December
2020. Realise we've only had the phoney flag waving
champagne Brexit so far at 31st January 2020, The really
disruptive trade & services & movement & jobs
barriers Hard Brexit deadline that Brexit bigots cursed
us with, will kill many more jobs & reduce personal
& corporate incomes, & national tax review that
supports health & social services/
DELAY THE HARD BREXIT DEADLINE DUE 31 DEC 2020!
- Back To Index